Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Captaincy...

Last year, in Chris Drury's first as Ranger's Captain, he was flanked by Alternate Captains Scott Gomez and Markus Naslund.

This year, with Gomez jettisoned to Montreal and Naslund deciding to retire, coach John Tortorella has a big decision ahead of him. No, picking two players to wear an "A" on their jersey won't be the difference maker in going to the Stanley Cup Finals or blowing a 3-1 series lead in the 1st round, but it could signal a changing of the guard at Madison Square Garden.

Ever since the lockout, veterans have worn the A. Jaromir Jagr, Steve Rucchin, Darius Kasparaitis were the 3 Alternates in the Captain-less 2005-06 season. Since then, Brendan Shanahan, Marty Straka, Gomez, and Naslund have worn it. All older players, all on Broadway for a short time (although Gomez's wasn't planned that way).

This year, Tortorella can do the easy thing and give Wade Redden (please no) or Marian Gaborik the "A"s to wear, but I hope he doesn't. Logic says your best player should always get to be a Captain or Alternate (or, in Tom Renney's case, your highest paid players), but it doesn't always have to be. For example, can you guess who Washington's Captain is? No, not Alex Ovechkin. Chris Clark is the Captain. Chris Clark, who scored 1 goal and added 5 assists in 32 games last year.

Who makes a good choice? People who've paid their dues, who are probably going to be Rangers for a while, and who give 100% effort every shift.

Scratch Redden off the list. Has less heart than Barry Bonds.
Scratch Gaborik off the list. First season in NY.
Scratch Michal Rozsival off the list. Probably won't be a Ranger for the entire 3 years left on his contract (it is heavily front-loaded so any team that takes him will take a big Cap hit but won't have to actually pay much money).

Blair Betts would've been a great choice. However, since he probably isn't returning, he can't put the "A" on his sweater. (He did last year for a few games, though.)

Brandon Dubinsky, Sean Avery, and Marc Staal would all make good choices. Avery, maybe not so great, but if he gets it, I'll be the first to say it's a good move. He plays hard every game, he loves being a Ranger, and we know he's here to stay this time.

However, the 2 I think should get it are Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi. You can't argue with Callahan getting it, can you? He defines what a Ranger should be. Plays hard not just every game, but every shift. Scores goals. Happy to be in New York. Loves playing at MSG. Doesn't complain. Hits everyone in sight. Doesn't take bad penalties.

And Girardi? Well, the main reason is because he's one of my 3 in NHL '09. (I'm the Captain, and Girardi and Joe Thornton are my "A"s.) But I love Girardi. I love his poise, his hitting, his passing. I love how he was undrafted and then just came out of nowhere to join the team. I remember how he was picked to the AHL All-Star Game, then got called up in late-January '07 and had to miss the game. He was happy to be called up, but upset his family and friends wouldn't get to watch him in the All-Star Game. Plus, I think his talent, as of right now, is better than Staal's. You can debate me on that, and you might be right, but I think he is a better defender right now, and if every player on the blueline played like him, this team would be a lot better than it was last year.

Just my 2 cents. Would love to hear your choices.

3 comments:

  1. I can definitely go with Ryan Callahan. Not sure about Daniel Girardi. He's a likeable player, but is he even going to get enough playing time to serve as an "A"?

    I hate the idea of Sean Avery talking to the refs. He's not even the type of player that you can rely on in the clutch (like, say, Terrell Owens). He just doesn't care about the game. This is all about setting up his career in fashion. I'd rather lose without Sean Avery than win without him.

    Dubinsky is a great guy, but also an RFA. Let's make sure he comes back.

    I think it should be Marc Stall. He's likely going to lead that defence for years to come, so let's give him some training wheels now. I think he'll end up better than Girardi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for Callahan. Top choice. Guy does everything right - right attitude and work ethic and hopefully the numbers will improve even more under Tortorella. One of the few guys I'm most happy to see stay a Ranger.

    I am an Avery fan, let me admit, but I don't see that working out. He'd be better off just keeping his focus on his role on the team and what he can do for the team. He's still one of their better players, for whatever that is worth.

    Honestly, I don't know who should wear the other A. You'd like to think someone who wouldn't have shied away from the role, like unfortunately Drury did sometimes last year. A Mara-type guy would have been good if he were still around.

    We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, Kels, on Mara. He would've been a fantastic choice and I would've loved that.

    On Avery - I wouldn't lobby for him, but if he gets it, I'd be happy and wouldn't complain.

    ReplyDelete