Monday, May 25, 2009

Boring...

Once again, the Conference Finals roll around and I tune out. Last year, Pittsburgh/Philadelphia and Dallas/Detroit did not hold my interest (until Dallas started a comeback that eventually failed). This year, neither series are keeping me that into it either as a repeat of the 2008 Finals seems inevitable.

The Penguins/Hurricanes series is definitely the better of the two, but the teams don't interest me much so I am not watching much, regardless of the score or how well Sidney Crosby performs.

Detroit/Chicago? If this were 1999 and Hugh Grant were here, he would say, "Fuhhgedaboudid." Borrrrring. This series was so hyped up going into it - Central Division rivalry; Old Guard vs. New Blood; Chelios returning to Chicago. And yet, they even make playoff overtime boring! This afternoon's game on NBC was such a blowout that even Mike Emerick wasn't excited, and his "interesting facts" seemed dull and forced.

Add to the fact that I don't particularly want any of these 4 teams to win the Cup. Detroit and Carolina have won recently, and I always like seeing new teams win. I can't reasonably make myself root for Pittsburgh or Crosby. And Chicago? I guess it would be nice if they won for the 7,600 fans who were going to games in 2003 to see a winner finally, but those other 13,000 fans who sell the place out sure seemed to have hopped on board at the right time (much like fans in Boston and Washington, as well).

Of course, I will be intently watching the next round, but once again, I am disappointed in the Conference Finals.

And I guess I will be rooting for the Penguins, solely so Gary Bettman gets his wish and the officials can go back to calling every game fairly, even those with the Penguins playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment