Friday, September 11, 2009

So This Is How It's Going To Be

The Islanders are about to head to training camp. John Tavares is about to take the ice in OUR colors for the first time. We're about to get hockey back after six long months.

And yet, we can't enjoy any of it.

We're not going to get into the politics of the Lighthouse Project here. There are plenty of other places to follow that saga if you're so inclined. Yes, it's important. It's EXTREMELY important. But it's not hockey, and we're here to talk about hockey. And, to be honest, the Lighthouse stuff is getting in the way of what should be a very exciting time for Islanders fans.

Look, we're not downplaying the significance of any of this. But it's almost like people are ready to write the Islanders a one-way ticket to Queens, or Hamilton, or Las Vegas, or Kansas City, or wherever. We're not going to do that. Everytime I go out in Islanders gear, someone asks me what I'm going to do when the Islanders leave, and I'm f***ing sick of it. We should be discussing the on-ice future of the Islanders, not preparing the Islanders' eulogy.

On September 22, the Lighthouse re-zoning meeting will take place at Hofstra. That night, the Islanders will play the Los Angeles Kings at the Sprint Center in Kansas City. I, for one, will be solely focused on the Islanders, and not just to scout out the team's future building. I want to see John Tavares and Kyle Okposo and get a glimpse of this wonderful future we have all earned. Call me a bad Islanders fan or an irresponsible writer if you want. But I'm not letting bulls**t politics ruin what could be a special season. After all, who knows how many seasons we have left?

I'm not saying the Lighthouse doesn't matter. I'm not saying I don't think the team will move. I'm just saying I refuse to take the New York Islanders for granted. And damn the Town of Hempstead for daring to ruin this season for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment