Friday, November 20, 2009

Garden of Dreams Charity Event...

Thanks to Longtime Reader Lou (who was responsible for my seat upgrade a few weeks ago during that not-very-fun Sharks game at MSG), I got a ticket into the Garden of Dreams charity event last night at The Garden.

It was a great night with a free buffet (featuring prime rib), an open bar, Adam Graves, and 4 other Rangers patrolling the area all night.

Pictures? Of course I have pictures! But first, let me say...

- Donald Brashear does not like when you thank him for punching Aaron Ward in the face, even if you say that all Rangers fans wanted to do it.

- Marian Gaborik does not play fantasy hockey. And upon my request to slow down his scoring because my friend Dan has him on his team, he politely refused.

- Dan Girardi's Dan Girardi jersey looked a lot better than mine, although his was free and mine was the crappiest jersey NHL.com ever sent out. I probably should have returned it.

- Marc Staal will tell you he "dusted" me "for two goals" in air hockey. He would be correct, but I decided to let him score to boost his confidence. If he nets two goals against Florida on Saturday, I will accept kudos and congratulations.

- Time for the Worst Moment of the Night, brought to you by Amstel Light. Staal gave up his air hockey paddle to Gaborik and I decided I needed a picture of it. I put the paddle down a moment, reached for my camera to give Lou, and some 6 year-old girl jacked the paddle. Very rude. And since it was a charity event and she was a guest, I couldn't ask for it back.

- The coolest guy there was the PA announcer. He gave us really good inside information and even announced a line that we wanted to hear: "Ladies and gentleman, time for tonight's scratches. Number twenty-five, Petr Prucha."

If I knew Gaborik was going to be there, I would've worn my jersey!

This picture looks fake but I assure you, it is not. I was just afraid he was
going to hit me. Donald Brashear does not like me.


I'm 25. I shouldn't be taking this kind of picture with an athlete.

This is me teaching our youth to play air hockey. Protect the puck!


Reader Lou and Volunteer Brad after the event.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when you said that to Donald Brashear. What a menace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quality post, Zach. It's a shame Redden couldn't be there, though I'm sure you all would have killed him. And a note to our readership - Zach's casual behavior with athletes is nothing new. Zach once met Chad Pennington in his Jets prime and, instead of acting starstruck, explained how an injury to the virtual Chad Pennington affected his season in Madden.

    ReplyDelete