Tuesday, November 25, 2008

NHL Live Gets Rick-Rolled

This has very little to do with hockey, but I found it funny nonetheless. I'm watching the replay of NHL Live on the NHL Network and a "Rick in Texas" called in with a question about Brenden Morrow. Suddenly, he stops talking and starts playing "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley. Both Don and Billy took it in stride and got a good laugh out of it, as they should - it was pretty damn funny.

There are a couple of things I need to disclose. First, in one of those things that only happen in a job you absolutely despise, Rick Astley became an obsession in our office over the past year, to the point that I received a copy of Rick Astley's Greatest Hits for my birthday this year. Secondly, and more importantly, my first ever Islanders game was an Islanders-Oilers game in March 1988. While the Islanders were warming up, they played "Never Gonna Give You Up" over the Coliseum PA. The Islanders won that game by a score of 5-4; it would be the first and last time I'd watch my idol Wayne Gretzky play live. Sadly, aside from the score, I don't remember a thing about the game. The only thing I remember about the game is Rick Astley.

No comments:

Post a Comment