Monday, October 5, 2009

Brian Boyle is Like Flash...

Here are 4 reasons I don't like when Ranger games are on Versus:

1) Doc Emerick annoys me. Not just his homer-ism for the Devils - I understand that, and he leaves a lot of it behind when the game is on national TV - but the way he talks, his phrasing, his know-it-all attitude. I know a ton of you will disagree with me, but it's one reason I don't like watching Versus games.

2) It's one big advertisement. I didn't notice it as much tonight, but last year, it seemed like every 10 seconds I was being force-fed a Bud Light or rodeo commercial.

3) My DirecTV doesn't carry Versus anymore, so I have to find watch the game elsewhere.

4) It's one big power play. It always seems that every game on Versus has more penalties called than regular games that are only on local TV. I would imagine that the referees are conditioned to call more penalties than normal for these games so that "fringe fans" can see more power plays and goals, but it really screws over the real fans who are only watching Versus because MSG or MSG+ doesn't show the game. They make those phantom calls all game long, much like when a team is playing the Penguins.

* * *

- I saw someone speed down the ice to make a defense play. As I tried to see the number on the back of the jersey, my mind only had 3 names in mind: Callahan, Dubinsky, or Lisin. magine my surprise tonight when the number read "22" and the name on the jersey was "Boyle." It's looking like Aaron Voros will be the odd man out when Sean Avery returns.

- Speaking of Brandon Dubinsky, he looks like a beast out there. Besides his scoring, his skating looks excellent and he's stronger on the puck this season than last. However, don't get too excited. Remember how awesome he was last year in the beginning? He had 12 points in 13 games in October '08 before dropping off the planet. That probably won't happen as dramatically this year, but it's still something to think about.

- I wanted Alexei Semenov to be a Ranger this year, and I felt bad that he wanted to be a Ranger, Glen Sather wanted him to, and John Tortorella wanted him to, but his wife nixed it. However, I don't think that a 7th defenseman is entirely necessary right now. Matt Gilroy has been playing great and scored his first goal tonight; Marc Staal and Dan Girardi aren't lighting it up, but they haven't been messing up; and Mike Del Zotto has looked great. He scored the past 2 games, and he had two open nets in the Penguins game where he just couldn't get his stick on the puck. Plus, he's manning the point on the power play pretty well considering he's a 19 year old who was thrown into the fire.

- What happens if and when the Rangers do find a 7th defenseman? One would hope that Wade Redden or Michal Rozsival would take a seat, but would Sather let Tortorella do that? One of Tom Renney's big mistakes was not only never sitting either of them, but relying on them for the power play. Tortorella isn't relying on them, per se, but he is using them on the 2nd unit, which is a huge mistake. I know he said he didn't watch many Ranger games before he took over last year, but didn't he hear about why Renney got fired?

5 comments:

  1. That's 4 reasons but who's counting ;)

    I agree - not a fan of VS telecasts for Rangers games. Most fans probably feel the same way about their team getting the national TV coverage. It's not so much VS but the fact that analysts who don't watch every game for that particular team obviously isn't going to have the same insight as your local TV analysts

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really do "dumb down" the games for the uneducated fan, and chances are those fans they think they are getting to, they aren't even watching. Mike's "if you followed hockey last year, there are no more new rules for this season" speaks to that.

    He didn't bother me last night as much as he usually does, but it's just the wrong way to showcase the sport. They are speaking to a group that doesn't care and angering the fans that do with their product.

    And the VS/Comcast situation is just unfortunate. Again, find a way to screw the precious few fans you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to think the NHL should do what the MLS has done - forget pandering to the mainstream and just cater to hardcore soccer fans. They used to be very gimmicky to bring in "casual" fans, but they realized it wasn't working and then scrapped all that and emulated the European game. It's not a perfect fix, but it beats the alternative.

    For the record, I do NOT think ESPN is the answer. I actually happen to love the fact that Versus is willing to shut down in April and May and focus on hockey. But they don't need to kiss the asses of casual fans, either. True hockey fans are more loyal than the fans of any other sport; it'd be nice if that loyalty wasn't taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stand when the games are on versus... I bitch and moan the whole game about their coverage.
    I love when in the middle of a breakaway or other exciting moment, they decide to switch to the horrible-cam where you are like 10 inches from a players chest and have no idea whats going on... they are bush league compared to MSG

    ReplyDelete
  5. What annoys me about Emerick? Everything is [verbing] is [subject] with him:

    "Passing the puck is Zubrus. Shooting the puck is Parise. Stopping it is Roloson. Reciting things in bass-ackwards order is Emerick."

    ReplyDelete