Friday, October 2, 2009

Versus...

Imagine my surprise today when I come home from work to put on the 10:00 game on Versus, and I'm greeted by a blue screen from DirecTV, some elevator music, and a note about "outrageous fees" and "Comcast charging" and "we don't want to pass fees onto our customers." Alas, no hockey game.

I had briefly heard about this during the summer, but hadn't heard about it since. I figured then that it would blow over and we'd have hockey, and since I hadn't heard more about it, I figured it did blow over and we were going to be able to watch hockey.

So, does anyone know anything about this? What's my next move? Canceling DirecTV and getting Verizon? If the Rangers or Islanders are on Versus and DirecTV doesn't carry Versus, can I still watch it on MSG or MSG+?

Anyone know?

2 comments:

  1. I want to say yes, last season they blacked out any in market games that were being broadcast on versus nationally and just showed them on msg/msg+ if I remember correctly. I remember having to watch the rangers broadcast of the rags/caps series in the playoffs because versus was blacked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Versus games are exclusive to Versus - as in, if you don't have Versus, you don't get the game. At least that's how it goes during the regular season. MSG and MSG Plus show their usual assortment of crap while Versus has exclusive rights to the game. You can't even get Versus games on Center Ice.

    I'm not sure if it's worth switching providers over. You can always find live feeds on the Web or just go out to watch the game.

    ReplyDelete