Monday, June 2, 2008

Transition...

Well, much like your heroes - whether they wear blue and or blue and orange - I've made the transition from a hockey mindset to a golf mindset. Instead of blogging, reading blogs, checking websites, looking at MSG, and reading the newspaper, I've been hitting the golf course once or twice a week. This week, I believe it will be 4 times.

Today, the entire NHL might switch into that mindset. With a win on home ice, Detroit captures another Stanley Cup, and the focus of the NHL goes to rebuilding - the draft, free agency, training camp.

Everyone talks about Pittsburgh's incredible home record and how they were 9-0 until they lost 2-1 to Detroit in Game 4. No one mentions Detroit's 9-1 record, though. They only lost one game, 2-1, and it was Game 5 against the Stars with the Stars facing elimination.

It should be a good game today. I happen to be working, and we only have 2 TVs at work, so it's hard to get a hockey game on one of them if a New York team isn't in it. Luckily, the Mets play on the Left Coast tonight, so I might get the bartender to put on NBC.

No worries, I have it set to be TiVoed, as I love watching a Stanley Cup celebration. I particularly enjoyed the Hurricanes celebrating in 2006, partly because I was so happy to have hockey back, but mostly because I love when veterans lift it for the first time, even if Carolina didn't deserve the Cup. Seeing Rod Brind'amour and Doug Weight, with his injured shoulder, lift it was fantastic, and I was anxiously awaiting Erik Cole lifting it after he had his neck broken by Brooks Orpik. However, NBC ended their coverage about 15 seconds before Cole lifted it. That was not fantastic.

I would love to see Chris Osgood get the Conn Smythe today, and my second choice would be Henrik Zetterberg, who had an amazing regular season until he started playing hurt. I wouldn't be terribly upset if Johan Franzen received the hardware, but he only really played great for 4 games. He wasn't electrifying in the Nashville series, and he didn't play in the Stars series. He just lit up Jose Theodore.

Enough. Enjoy the game.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, sir. I'm considering a trip to Cantiague Park myself on Friday... feel free to come along if you'd like.

    I hope the Wings get to win it at home. Preferably, it'd be in seven games, but it doesn't really matter. If the Wings win, Osgood has to be the Conn Smythe winner. You can make the argument that they don't even get past Nashville with Hasek in net. If not him, Zetterberg. And if the Pens win... the Conn Smythe goes to Gary Bettman. (Just kidding.)

    ReplyDelete