Monday, July 28, 2008

Good News, Islander Fans...

...and I don't mean the fact that the Darryl Sittler ad is back in heavy rotation on the NHL Network (as awesome as that is).

It's no secret that the Islanders had planned on putting out a third jersey for the upcoming 2008-09 season. I'd heard through the grapevine that it was going to be similar to the jerseys the Isles wore a few years ago for Throwback Night, but was never able to confirm it.

Until now.

Isles Blogger reports that the Islanders are indeed going to their retro look as a third jersey in 2008-09. This has been confirmed by HockeyBuzz. I know HockeyBuzz is hardly a bastion of journalistic integrity, but this was something I'd heard about from multiple sources before HockeyBuzz "broke" it.

Anyway, here's what we're looking at for next year...




(images taken from an eBay listing for this very jersey)

Ooh.

To me, the lettering makes the jersey. People have said the white sleeves look stupid, but not with everything else going on. Anyway, I'd expect some minor modifications to this look, so as to fit the RBK Edge template, but I'm sure this is pretty close to the real thing.

I've been secretly excited about this jersey for a very long time, but didn't want to post anything about it and then have it fall through. You know, because we break so many stories around here.

So there you have it, Islander fans. You now have the coolest third jersey in franchise history.

3 comments:

  1. I was at the game when they wore these jerseys. The major problem was that you couldn't make out anybody's number from the stands. On second thought that may actually be a benefit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty horrible I think and not cause I'm looking to bash it.

    I think the sleeves and the lines on the bottom are bad. I could deal with the sleeves but those lines are so thick it's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like if you see the players from the left or right side, you will see their jersey number reversed?

    Sounds like a pretty bad idea.

    New York; one of the World's capital for fashion.

    Unfortunately, not one of the World's capital for hockey anymore.

    Anyone misses Mike Bossy?

    ReplyDelete