Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back to the Real World...

I'm back from Las Vegas, and I'm in the black. Or in the red. Whichever one means I lost money. Little to nothing from my wish list of Things to Happen While I Was Away happened, except that the Islanders made a personnel move by hiring Scott Gordon. However, Mats Sundin, Brendan Shanahan, Teemu Selanne, and Joe Sakic are all still unemployed, not to mention hovering around age 40.

Did Glen Sather do anything whilst I was away? With limited cap
space and way too many forwards, he appears to be fishing down in South Carolina on Mark Messier's boat.

While I was gone, ESPN added the Jets to their upper-echelon of sports teams receiving non-stop coverage, joining the Red Sox, the Yankees, and the Patriots. For this week, Michael Phelps will also be in on the action - and deservingly so. He won a race by .01 of a second. That's a fingernail of a difference. That means he grew out his fingernails last week while the person he lost to had an ill-advised nail-biting session the day before the event, probably brought on by the stress of having to face Michael Phelps in an Olympic race.

I guess the big news that I missed while I was gone was Mike and the Mad Dog breaking up. This impacts Ranger and Islander fans in no way at all. I believe hockey got a total of 3 minutes a week on their show, while 3 out of every 5 minutes were dedicated to Alex Rodriguez. Now, I did like them, but I just never listened to them once I got XM Radio, complete with its own hockey channel, Home Ice 204. I think they did know their hockey well, but their audience always wanted to talk about ignorant morons like Stephon Marbury, Michael Strahan, and Archie Manning. (For the record, Marbury is one of the dumbest human beings ever born. In a Georgia Tech press conference declaring his intent to join the NBA, he was verbally-illiterate, meaning he couldn't even speak he was so stupid. Watch this please, and if you get bored of his linguistic fouls, fast forward to 57 seconds in.) Whenever they interviewed a hockey person, they knew their stuff, but it was very rare that they would have a Ted Nolan, Brian Leetch, or Neil Smith on the show.

I thought I had more to say, to be honest. Now that my Vegas vacation is over (I couldn't capitalize the word "vacation" because Chevy Chase wasn't on my trip with me), I have little to look forward to until training camp. Man, August really is a slow hockey month.

I hate summer. Give me winter any day.


View of my hotel, the MGM Grand, from the bridge
connected to New York, New York. MGM Grand will be holding a pre-season game in September, Avs vs. Kings.

1 comment:

  1. Quality post. I remember the day between Games 6 and 7 of the 2002 Isles-Leafs series, when Mike And The Mad Dog OPENED with Islander talk. It was hard not to be proud to be an Islander fan that day. You're right, though. The only person on WFAN who talks hockey is Steve Somers, and half the time it's because he brings it up. The average caller would rather talk about some middle reliever on the Mets than discuss hockey.

    ReplyDelete