Sunday, August 24, 2008

Two for Tonight...

1) As I have written about before, I have bad luck with Ranger jerseys. I currently own no jerseys of anyone on the team. I bought a Pavel Bure jersey when he was injured and he didn't return (it's a Russian jersey). I got an Eric Lindros one and then he got injured on a cheap shot by Jason Doig (currently a scrub in the Swiss leagues). He never returned as a Ranger and went to Toronto after the lockout. My Steve Rucchin jersey was short-lived, as he signed in Atlanta the next year. Then, I got a Ryan Hollweg jersey that lasted two seasons, although he was awful in both seasons. My Sean Avery jersey lasted one entire season until he signed in Dallas. I did, however, turn a vintage Rangers jersey into a Jaromir Jagr one, and although I didn't wear it much, it was available to me over 3 seasons.

This afternoon, I went to NHL.com and bought a new one. It's a road white Dan Girardi #5 jersey. I did research and made sure friends didn't want a Girardi jersey so we wouldn't look like tools in the same exact jersey. It helped that I put the word out towards the end of last season that I wanted a Girardi, and that my friends should get Marc Staal or Brandon Dubinsky or Nigel Dawes.

I think it would have been easier to just replace the nameplate on my Dale Purinton #5 jersey with a Girardi nameplate, but, alas, I never had a Purinton jersey. I did see one though, once, after a game, in Penn Station. The lady was too far away but I wanted to ask if she was related to him. Who gets a jersey of a 7th defenseman with marginal skills even for the AHL?

2) I watched Olympic soccer between Argentina and Nigeria on TV last night, which is the only thing more boring than Islanders hockey. Hey-oh!

1 comment:

  1. If you want a jersey that will be good for the next ten or so years, I'd recommend investing in a Hugh Jessiman Hartford Wolfpack jersey.

    ReplyDelete