Monday, December 29, 2008

Islanders DVD Game Listing

Sorry to usurp Zach, but I've stumbled across the list of games that will be included on the upcoming Islanders DVD, to be released on March 3, 2009. We've been all over this from the start, and Amazon has posted a picture of the DVD box, which includes the list of games that will be included. Here are the games that will be included:

5/24/80: Game 6, Islanders vs. Flyers (First Cup win)
5/21/81: Game 5, Islanders vs. North Stars (Second Cup win)
4/13/82: Game 5, Islanders vs. Penguins (Tonelli's OT winner)
5/16/82: Game 4, Islanders vs. Canucks (Third Cup win)
5/17/83: Game 4, Islanders vs. Oilers (Fourth Cup win)
4/10/84: Game 5, Islanders vs. Rangers (Morrow's OT winner)
4/18/87: Game 7, Islanders vs. Capitals (Easter Epic)
5/14/93: Game 7, Islanders vs. Penguins (Volek's OT winner)
4/24/02: Game 4, Islanders vs. Maple Leafs (Bates' penalty shot)
11/3/07: Islanders vs. Penguins (Arbour's 1500th game)

Here's the games I would have picked. There are some similarities, but I have to say I like my list better. For example, the Isles-North Stars game shown is an Islanders 5-1 blowout win. Is this really a great stand-alone game? Same for Isles-Oilers in '83, when the Islanders pretty much won the game in the first period. I also have a bit of an issue with the Al Arbour game; I understand it's a big moment, but it's not exactly the kind of thing I'm going to show my kids when I try to teach them about Islanders history. It reeks of the way WWE loads their DVDs with recent matches just to make them seem more relevant.

Either way, I'll be buying this set. For the price Amazon is showing ($36.99), you do get quite a bit of content. The back of the box doesn't show anything about bonus features, and it also doesn't state how they plan on fitting a six-hour game (the Easter Epic) onto one disc. But this does look like quite the buy. And from the looks of things, this is as close as we're going to get to watching Islanders hockey this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment