Saturday, March 14, 2009

Music City Hockey...

Hockey in Tennessee, who would've thought it! 16,241 tickets were sold, about 900 short of a sell-out. There were a few empty seats around me. I sat in the 3rd row, in the middle of the zone where the Rangers shot in the 1st and 3rd periods. I was to the right of the goalies.

The Sommet Center is very nice. Everything in Nashville is compact. It basically goes from 2nd Avenue to 7th Avenue, and then there are 3 main streets - Broadway, Commerce, Church. We stayed on 7th and Church, and the arena is at Broadway and 5th, a 4 block walk. (By the way, it snowed there Thursday.) The inside is nice also, although for some reason we didn't get food or drink there. But everything is clean, even the burger fix-ins bar, which if they had one at MSG I would steer clear away from. 

For those in Nashville, they play the Anaheim Ducks on 3/24 and are selling half-priced hot dogs until the 1st intermission.

Worst Things
- Nothing makes fans angrier than seeing a Sean Avery jersey, and nothing is unfunnier than fans who don't write their own jokes. Yelling "Sloppy seconds!" at a man with an Avery #16 jersey on is like yelling, "Hey, Uncle Jesse!" if you see John Stamos walking down the street. It's not funny. You're not original. It doesn't mean anything. And you're an idiot.

- The kids have stupid whistles that they blow whenever Jordin Tootoo is on the ice. Whistles go "toot, toot," get it? So whenever he's on the ice, we get to have annoying whistles being blown for 45 seconds. Oh, that's fun. I almost punched the 11-year-old in front of me, but settled on taunting his autographed Dan Ellis jersey when the Rangers kept scoring. "Hey, Kid, Pekka Rinne should be in!" It's a good thing Tootoo isn't a good player and doesn't get a lot of ice time, or it would've been unbearable.

- Lack of merchandise in the store. I bought an orange Predators t-shirt because I didn't want a jersey t-shirt of J.P. Dumont, Ellis or Tootoo. And that $124 sweatshirt was out of my price range. 

- Lack of a Colton Orr fight. I wanted to see him beat up Tootoo or Wade Belak right in front of me. At one point, Tootoo was in front of me and tried hitting someone else (Michal Rozsival, I think?), and ran away from Orr. I yelled at him. He didn't hear me, but my expletive wasn't appreciated by the southern folks.

Ranger Fans
I didn't really see any Ranger fans from NY. There was a wacky couple who follows the team around on the road (I've never seen them at MSG). They were speaking all the players names during warmups like they knew them ("Oh, Scotty." "What's up, Dubi?"). Brandon Dubinsky saw them, and rolled his eyes. Steve Valiquette saw them and smiled politely. She took that as a sign that he wanted to give her his stick. She went for it. She came back empty-handed.

Most of the other fans were from the South but fans of them. One from Mississippi, a couple in front of us from Arkansas who watched Center Ice and were big fans (they travel to Chicago, St. Louis, and Nashville to see the Rangers). One guy I heard lived in Brooklyn a while ago and now lives in Nashville. One lady lived on Long Island but moved to Alabama a while ago, so she drives up for Ranger games. I did see a guy at the airport who is a season-ticket holder at MSG and said he was at the game; and a guy and girl in a bar said they came from Jersey for the game and were glad they wouldn't be alone.

Overall
A good experience, and I'm glad the Rangers came alive in the 2nd and 3rd periods. The seats were incredible - we were so close that Wade Redden heard me when I told him he sucked - both times. I taught the kids next to us - they were from Nashville, first hockey game - how much he gets paid and how awful he plays. Eventually, by about his 10th blunder of the game, they were pointing it out to me. A real bonding experience.

(SIDE NOTE: Redden was awful against the Flyers today, and is making $6.5M to hurt the Rangers' playoff chances. He pinched in on that 2nd goal, then lost his stick, leaving Derek Morris and Ryan Callahan to do his work and their own. Awful play, one of his many this afternoon. Without that one, its a completely different game and maybe they get a point or two.)

When Blair Betts rushed in to the zone on the shorthanded goal, he was right in front of me, and I got nervous seeing it was him. I had previously told those kids next to me that he was the best penalty killer in the league. I jumped a few feet out of my seat when Freddy Sjostrom scored, and then asked the kids if they saw that. They did.

The fans are okay, but it always makes me laugh that in non-traditional hockey markets (like Nashville, North Carolina, and New Jersey) they have to announce when they are on the power play so people know. 

The goal song was awfully weak. They do the same song that 50% of the arenas do... "Na, na na na na, na, na na na na." And they threw in the awful, "You suck!" during it. Also, every player who was starting for the Rangers "SUCKS!" when they are announced. Nice building, no originality.

Not only did they have "ice girls" but they also "other ice girls" who didn't do anything. The one set were on skates and figure skated over the zamboni's work and tosses t-shirts. The useless ones slipped and slid to center ice, stood, waved, and left. It was like they were the back-up cheerleaders but the owners didn't have the heart to cut them so they had them do nothing. Very odd.

They had a mascot, Gnash (get it?), who flew from the rafters during pre-game. Nothing gets me more jazzed up for March hockey than a flying something (is it a saber-tooth tiger?) before the game.

The oddest part of the evening was during a commercial break when Gnash pretended to be in a video game. The Mario Bros. theme song came on, he jogged in place, and people walked by him with ducks, mushrooms, brick boxes, and pipes. It was very awkward, not entirely enjoyable, and made me question why they even paid a mascot at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment