Tuesday, June 2, 2009

So Long, NHL Network

Today, I called Cablevision to cancel my subscription to the NHL Network. I was a bit sad about it... but not as sad as I thought I would be.

The way Cablevision works is they put the NHL Network in a package called the iO Sports Pak. For $5.95 per month, you get the NHL Network and a bunch of other sports networks. Of the extra channels, the only worthwhile network is GolTV, which doesn't show any of the leagues I follow. So it's essentially $5.95 for the NHL Network. Initially, I gladly paid this amount. However, over time, the quality of the NHL Network has fallen drastically, much to my displeasure.

When the NHL Network first hit the United States in October 2007, it was honestly the best thing to happen to me all year. The network was full of old games and horrible commercials; in short, it was heaven. There were times when literally half of my 100-hour DVR was filled with games and telecasts from the NHL Network. Getting up with my then-infant daughter for 3 AM feedings was a pleasure because there was always hockey on my TV.

Unfortunately, things changed.

This past year, the NHL Network has become much more of a "now" network. On one hand, that's a good thing, because it showcases today's top stars and storylines. On the other, it's awful. This is a channel that's buried on premium tiers on most cable networks; only the most diehard hockey fans, all of whom are already up on the latest happenings of the NHL, even subscribe to the network. So, in many ways, the NHL Network is preaching to the choir.

I became hooked on the NHL Network for two main reasons - NHL On The Fly and the footage of old games and playoff series. When NHL Live started airing, that became a third reason. When NHL Live was hosted by Don LaGreca and EJ Hradek, it was must-see TV. It was a heavy influence on me purchasing an XM subscription. Now that both LaGreca and Hradek have departed the show, NHL Live has suffered. It's informative, sure, but it's hard to get into the show when it's hosted by a revolving door of guests. Not so coincidentally, I canceled my XM service yesterday in another cost-cutting move.

But NHL Live is not what killed the NHL Network in my eyes. These days, the NHL Network shows too much of the same crap over and over again. Take today for example. The replay of NHL Live aired from 4 to 6 PM. This was followed by a pre-game show for Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final. Then, they showed the same pre-game show AGAIN before the 8 PM start time of Game 3. After the game, NHL On The Fly airs - until noon tomorrow. That's followed by NHL Live, a replay of last night's game, and the replay of NHL Live. See what I'm saying? We have a 24/7 hockey network that shows more talk shows than actual hockey action. It's annoying.

I understand that not every NHL fan is as obsessed as I am with seeing games from the 1980s. But I think the NHL Network could clearly do a better job. For example, why isn't there a marathon of clinching games from previous Stanley Cup Finals? Instead, I turn on the NHL Network, excited to watch some hockey, only to see Patrik Elias in Belize or clips from The Hockey Show that already aired on NHL.com.

I'm sure I'll be back. If they end up showing a ton of classic games over the summer - and really, they have no reason not to - maybe I'll re-subscribe. But for now, it's not worth my $5.95 a month to not watch hockey. I'll miss the NHL Network - I'll miss the channel I fell in love with during 2007 and 2008, not what it's become in recent months.

It's funny - when the MLB Network launched in January, everyone raved about what a great job they did. I remember thinking to myself, "If these people could just give the NHL Network a chance, they'd see an even better network." Now, the MLB Network has clearly surpassed the NHL Network, and it's a damn shame. The NHL Network has already shown how great it can be - I hope it reaches that point again in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. There's no need to have the NHL Network during the summer anyway. Come back in October.

    ReplyDelete