Saturday, June 27, 2009

Speechless

I don't really know how to explain the emotions that come with the Islanders taking John Tavares with the first overall pick.

This is as much as I know right now. We broke out a bottle of champagne in the parking lot after the pick was made. As people looked on, half mocking us, half admiring us, we said that this was our Stanley Cup. And I stand by that. Like I said earlier, we don't dream of Stanley Cups, just the chance to be relevant again. After tonight, we've earned that right.

I'm watching the Draft on DVR right now, and I can hardly believe my ears as the hosts praise the Islanders. I'll admit, I don't know much about Calvin De Haan. But the moves that led to his drafting were made with house money. All of that moving down last year set the pieces for this year's activity. If it doesn't work out, it's okay. The story for tonight is Tavares.

The pick was made six hours ago, and I still can't believe it. For once, the Islanders are the talk of the NHL, but for all the right reasons. If this is as good as it gets, I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment