Thursday, May 15, 2008

American Idol...

Syesha was kicked off of American Idol on Wednesday after delivering better performances than both of the other contestants.

For those who don't watch AI, or wish they didn't (like me), let me explain. Syesha is a girl. And black.

Now, there are only 2 contestants left: David Cook and David Archuleta. Both male, both white.

If I was a black girl rooting for Syesha, why would I continue to watch two white men fight for something that shouldn't be theirs?

Last Sunday, the Rangers lost to the Penguins. Regardless of whether or not there was some big conspiracy, the 3rd round of the playoffs featured two Pennsylvania teams, a team that has won 3 Stanley Cups since 1997, and a team that won it in 1999. Both series went 3-0 (before Dallas won last night).

Why, as a Ranger fan, would I continue watching?

Different shows, different performers, different sport, different stage. 

Same results.

Get rid of the only black performer, lose their ratings. Get rid of the female, lose some of them. Get rid of the Rangers, lose a lot of ratings.

I have personally not watched any of the Penguin/Flyer series. Not a second. I watched the 3rd period of Game 3 of Detroit/Dallas and the 2nd period of Game 4. That's it. A lot has to do with work schedule, but to be honest, I haven't had much interest. The past few years, I watched with interest as Tampa beat Calgary (I rooted for the Flames), Carolina beat Edmonton (I rooted for the Oilers), and Anaheim beat Ottawa (I rooted for the Senators). This year, I don't know if it is because Pittsburgh is in it, because the Rangers lose in such a disgusting, controversial manner, or because the officiating is deciding games when they should just be fair (half the Rangers losses in the 2nd round; tonight's "no goal" call on the Red Wings), but my viewership is down.

If the Rangers were still in, I'd watch both series keenly. But they took away my Syesha.

1 comment:

  1. You watch American Idol? Wow.

    I've barely watched any of this series as well, only because they didn't take very long to become foregone conclusions. I'll watch good hockey any day; it takes a lot for me to watch a blowout.

    I think I watched about ten minutes of the 2007 MLB Playoffs after the Mets' collapse. I didn't watch a second of the 2006 World Series, and I didn't even know the Cardinals won until the next day. It's just too hard to watch a team playing in games it shouldn't be playing in.

    ReplyDelete