Monday, May 5, 2008

Sharks-Stars, Game 6

One more for tonight, then I'm off...

Even though today was my first day back from "paternity leave", I stayed up until 2:30 last night to watch the end of the instant classic that was Sharks-Stars. I have to say, that first overtime period was probably the best period of hockey I've seen since the lockout, if not longer. Just all-out intensity throughout, not to mention maybe the nicest save I've ever seen (Evgeni Nabokov on Brad Richards). I still wish the Sharks had won, if only so I could hear the Dallas fans applaud the effort they had just seen.

Speaking of Dallas fans, people who say the Lone Star State isn't a hockey hotbed would do well to take a look at last night's game. Not only did nobody leave early, but the crowd stood for all four overtimes. I wouldn't be doing that at the Coliseum.

I was impressed by Glenn Healy's analysis on the TSN feed. I'd heard mixed reviews about him (mainly, that he was bitter about the Islanders dumping him after the '93 playoffs and routinely went out of his way to bash the organization), but he did a great job. That said, only one more thing could have made last night's game perfect - Gary Thorne and Bill Clement on commentary. Could you imagine Thorne doing those overtimes? It would have been amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment