Friday, May 2, 2008

Tonight...

RANGERS POST by ZACH

Well, they did it. They extended the series, and my partner-in-game tonight, Tom, would probably say it was due in large part to his new Ryan Callahan jersey, which he said was never at a losing game (albeit, I think it's 3-0... not a great streak but it's a start).

And people were most likely sick of my scenario that I have been saying since Tuesday after Game 3...

Win Game 4 at home, which they did. The hard part is Sunday, Game 5. If they can beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh in front of a raucous crowd, they have climbed the toughest hill and they could very easily win Game 6 at MSG, then Game 7 would be a crapshoot, maybe 60/40 in favor of the Penguins.

I still stand by my notion that if the Chris Drury didn't score with 7.7 seconds left in Game 5 last year and the Rangers won that game, that they would have easily won Game 6 at the Garden that Sunday afternoon.

It all starts with one game. The Captain was fired up. Brendan Shanahan, obviously playing hurt, played good tonight. Scott Gomez didn't do much but he should on Sunday I hope. Drury put forth an effort. Petr Prucha proved he should be in the lineup. They were disciplined - 3 real penalties only (the others were counteracted with simultaneous Penguin penalties). They clogged the middle. Didn't let Pittsburgh have any chances except for Malkin's breakaway (and ensuing penalty shot... who does he think he is? Michael Nylander?).

Good game by the good guys. 

Big hill to climb Sunday afternoon. I think Doc Emerick is their bad luck charm. Eddie Olczyk doesn't help. You'd think he would like the Rangers since he won the Cup with them more than the Penguins who fired him. Odd. Regardless, Emerick's voice is like a cheese grater on my brain.

It all starts with one win.

* * * 

Bryan, Game 7 will be on Wednesday, not Thursday.

* * * 

Trivia Question: In 1994, Eddie Olczyk played in just 1 postseason game for the Rangers. Which game was it?

1 comment:

  1. 1) Ah, so it is Wednesday. My bad. I misinterpreted the iO Digital Cable programming guide.

    2) My guess is that Olczyk played one game in the Finals, because I believe he wouldn't have gotten his name on the Cup otherwise. I'm going to look it up now, but I won't post the answer.

    3) Emrick called the game last night. So maybe he's not as big of a jinx as other things, such as bad penalties and an ineffective power play.

    ReplyDelete