Monday, April 7, 2008

Basketball?...

This is how obsessed I am with hockey: I completely forgot that the NCAA basketball tournament final game was on today. The only sports even that concerns me today is the Draft Lottery at 8:00 on Versus. 

I would love St. Louis to get it, because I am a huge John Davidson fan and because, growing up, my family lived there and I went to a few Blues games so I consider them my second favorite team. Last year, they had 3 first round picks and got 3 solid people (one of whom played this year for them). They last had the first overall pick in 2006 when they chose Erik Johnson.

I think LA has enough talent already, they just need a few veterans who could help them in the clutch and a goalie who could steal some games for them (although the arrival of Erik Ersberg and Jonathan Bernier might help that along). The last time the Kings had the #1 overall pick: 1967.

Tampa Bay has chosen first overall twice: 1993 (Roman Hamrlik) and 1998 (Vinny Lecavalier).

Atlanta has chosen first overall twice as well: 1999 (bust Patrik Stefan) and 2001 (Ilya Kovalchuk). They also chose 2nd overall in 2000 (Dany Heatley) and 2002 (Kari Lehtonen).

I hope these two teams don't win the "Stamkos Sweepstakes." They both had their chances, and they both are in poor markets where a true superstar gets wasted (Lecavalier and Kovalchuk are both exception players, and who hears about them except on XM Home Ice 204?).

As an Islander-hater, the one reason I would hope they win - although they have the smallest chance of those involved - is so hockey makes a comeback on the Island. For the record, their #! overall draft picks: 2000 (Rick DiPietro), 1973 (Denis "Wifebeater" Potvin), and 1972 (Billy Harris).


* * * 

Scroll down to see my playoff predictions (Rangers over Sharks in 7) and Bryan predictions (San Jose over Rangers in 6), as well as award notes.

1 comment:

  1. We got the fifth overall pick. Fuck. I think the top five in the draft are in the exact order as they finished. How dramatic.

    ReplyDelete