Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tomorrow...

RANGERS POST by ZACH

I happen to have tickets to tomorrow's Game 4 against the Penguins at The World's Most Depressing Arena. Like my friend who took off of work to play Grand Theft Auto IV, I was super excited. I got the tickets when the Penguins were up 2-0, and I was certain - certain! - that it would be 2-1 for tomorrow's tilt. In fact, I was so sure, that I went to sportsbetting.com and was willing to wager all of the money in my account on the Rangers winning Game 3. Luckily for me, my account was empty. Regardless, I still have no money.

So tomorrow should be interesting. I'll still have fun, and I'll still root my heart out. If they lose, they lose. When they got swept by the Devils in 2006, Game 4 wasn't bad. I saw it coming, cheered when Ortmeyer made it 1-0, smiled when Rucchin scored a useless goal to cut the deficit to 4-2, and clapped when the buzzer sounded. Last year, when they lost to Buffalo 4 games to 2, Game 6 wasn't hard for me. It was like losing a loved one - you're depressed and upset when you find out (Game 3) but you know it's over when it's over (Game 4). Game 5 in Buffalo was the bad game last year (Chris Drury... 7.7 seconds... Blair Betts hooking penalty... Maxim Afinogenov goal). I might have slept two hours that night. Well, Game 3 was like that for me this year. I did sleep last night (about 8 hours), but it hasn't been fun since Malkin's PP goal in the 2nd. 

Yes, tomorrow will indeed be interesting. Jagr was right. This series isn't over. If they hold out tomorrow (entirely possible) and go to a Game 5, that's great, another game for Shanahan, Jagr, and Straka. If they can pull of a win in Game 5 on the road, they sure as hell might have a Game 7 because Game 6 in MSG should go their way. Imagine if this series goes 7 games? Imagine! It will be tough with no Betts on the PK (not that it helps against Pittsburgh), half-a-Drury, half-a-Shanahan, and let's be honest, half-a-Gomez. The biggest loss will also be no Sean Avery, he of 7 points in 8 games. 

If they lose tomorrow, I hope the Garden gives it a "Let's Go Rangers" chant. I also hope Shanny, Jags, and Straka stay on the ice for a lap if they don't plan on returning to the NHL next year (Shanahan hasn't said anything but has definitely lost a step, no doubt he doesn't want to be a 4th liner next year... Jagr is a mystery... and Straka signed a one-year deal to keep it open-ended, but if Jagr isn't back, he won't be). 

I also hope all merchandise is half off. What are they going to do with a #82 jersey if he retires!?

1 comment:

  1. I hope it goes well for you tonight. You know how much I loved the standing ovation and chants last year. Hey, as long as you don't throw crap onto the ice, you've got the Islanders licked. Truly, I hope for a fifth game - maybe this series can at least come close to what we all expected.

    ReplyDelete