Saturday, April 12, 2008

Quickly...

Don't mean to take the thunder from Bryan's post below, but a few quick notes on an incredible night of hockey...

1) Patrick Thoresen was writhing in pain after being shot in the testicles with a puck. He was immediately taken to the hospital and his season - no matter how far the Flyers go - is over. Yet, the refs didn't blow the whistle, the play continued, and Mike Green tied it on what was essentially a 5-on-3 with Thoresen down. I know the rule is arguably that the team with the injured player has to touch the puck to get the whistle blows. I say "arguably" because the ref has discretion. If the player is badly hurt - which he was - the whistle should be blown regardless of who has the puck. Classless move that might have cost Philadelphia the game.

2) Remember when I said I love blowjobs, burritos, and Sean Avery scoring on Martin Brodeur? I only received one of those today - a sweet shot from just beyond the hash marks - and I couldn't be happier.

3) Didn't watch the end of Colorado-Minnesota (was watching Fargo that I had on TiVo for a few months) but it seems like I'm going to enjoy the highlights. Tied at 1 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd, each team scores to send it to overtime, where Keith Carney scored for the Wild 74 seconds in. And Chris Simon still hasn't played in the playoffs, even when Mark Parrish's injury opened a spot.

4) Interesting juxtaposition while watching the Rangers/Devils game and Flyers/Capitals. I was flipping to Versus during commercials to watch Ovechkin vs. Nobody, and while the Rangers were scoreless for 44 minutes, the other game had a flurry of goals and it was a different score nearly every time I turned it on. Yet, they were both great games, even if the referees left me with a sour taste in my mouth (in both games).

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking as regulation ended in Minnesota that I hate it when there's a 20-minute intermission followed by a 2-minute overtime. Sure enough, I didn't even have enough time to turn my bed down and climb in before the Wild scored. Good game overall, though.

    The Pittsburgh game was good, too. The problem with that one for me was that it wasn't in HD. And, since I was flipping between the Rangers, Caps, and Mets on the HD channels, the only way I could see the Penguins were on picture-in-picture. Hard to get a feel for a game that way.

    ReplyDelete