Monday, April 7, 2008

Playoff Predictions...

NHL POST by ZACH

Ah, time for my yearly playoff predictions (yes, I know we've had this blog for a month and a half), which hold about as much salt as a pepper shaker (nice imagery, I know). Take these for what you will, as I remember that in 05-06 I had both Carolina and Edmonton losing in the first round (and Calgary over Ottawa in 6 games never did pan out). Last season, I had Ottawa losing in the first round and Anaheim winning it all over Buffalo.

So...

East

(1) Montreal over (8) Boston in 5

(7) Ottawa over (2) Pittsburgh in 7

(3) Washington over (6) Philadelphia in 7

(5) Rangers over (4) Devils in 7


Ottawa over Montreal in 6

Rangers over Washington in 4


Rangers over Ottawa in 6


West

(1) Detroit over (8) Nashville in 5

(2) San Jose over (7) Calgary in 5

(6) Colorado over (3) Minnesota in 7

(4) Anaheim over (5) Dallas in 6


Colorado over Detroit in 4

San Jose over Anaheim in 7


San Jose over Colorado in 6


Finals

Rangers over San Jose in 7


It might look like I'm a homer - the Ranger fan picking the Rangers to win. Well, unlike Islander fans, I have logic to back me up. 


See, I think any team from the East can emerge as conference champions, with the exception of Philly and Boston. So, if the Rangers can beat NJ - which they can, but it will be a brutal series - they can beat anyone. Washington is good but they are inexperienced and the Rangers play very well against them historically (of course, Huet is the X factor there). The Rangers would be able to beat Ottawa, especially with home ice advantage and if the Senators have to fight through the Penguins. And Marty Gerber is an awful playoff performer (ask Conn Smythe winner Cam Ward) and Ray Emery cares about his team like I care about cricket (the sport... and the bugs).


The Rangers were awful against the West, as in 1-7-2 awful. The Ducks and Kings beat them in back-to-back games, the Coyotes dismembered them, they got 1 point on the Canadian trip. 


The 1 win: 3-1 over San Jose. 

1 comment:

  1. I figured you might pick the Rangers to win it all. And I wasn't even going to call it a homer pick - it could very well happen. But Ottawa in the conference final? You have to figure they'll get it together at some point, but Pittsburgh and Montreal are going to be awfully tough.

    ReplyDelete